Opera House hosts hackathon to make a new app
The Sydney Opera House has taken an imaginative route in coming up with a new mobile app: They are hosting a Hackathon.
Coders are invited to Hack the House for the “… glory of developing an app for Sydney Opera House which will be seen by millions of visitors every year.” The event is open to both junior and senior developers and there will be resources on hand to help develop any missing skills.
The Opera House has clearly put some thought into this. They will provide access to content, resources and mentors. Their website includes a checklist that they presumably mean to tick all the boxes on:
“What makes this the best hackathon?
- The glory of developing an app for Sydney Opera House which will be seen by millions of visitors every year
- Cash prize and sponsor rewards
- All night coding (with pillows and beanbags) at the Quay Grand with plenty of food and drink
- Assistance from industry mentors and the opportunity to network with like-minded people
- Sponsor awards, breakout sessions, and post-event parties
- Mandatory Demos and a ‘no slide decks’ rule
- Code reviews to ensure winning teams are within the rules
- Exposure to the panel of judges, composed of industry experts and leaders”
It all happens on the 7th and 8th of December. For all the details see the website.